I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Monday, March 14, 2011

Softball: Students vs. Teachers

Today was SO much fun! During morning tea (the morning break) there was a huge softball game, all teachers versus Colwill's softball team of year 7/8 students. Most of the other kids came to watch--some cheering for the students, but most cheering for the teachers. It was fun (and kinda strange) to be playing as a teacher and not as a student!
We were so excited to play! We each went to bat a couple of times, and were all key players in out on the field--mostly outfield, but Jess played some 2nd base, too. The best part was that all of us made a run for the team. There was always a lot of cheering when one of the teachers made it back to home base! Woot woot!
This is Santi Vega. He is a Spaniard from Australia, and one of the year 7/8 teachers. He was the most competitive out of everyone, and made sure the teachers came out on top. One of the students was in charge of taking all these pictures while we played and she captured this one, which accurately depicts what Mr. Vega's face looked like 99% of the game.
Our student photographer caught some good ones of Jess in action on the field...
...and she also caught some not so good ones of me on the field. ha! But I'm pretty sure this picture was taken right before I caught a fly ball and then proceeded to get everyone out that was on a base. Triple! ...or at least that's what I wish this was a picture of :)
This was one of the best action shots of the day...DeNiro whacked the ball and might have been able to make it home. That is, if the teachers hadn't been so good :)
The game ended with the glorious score of 11-2. Teachers-11, Students-2. Woot woot! The best part was all the kids who came up to us the rest of the day: "You played good as!"

I had another almost full day of full control today. Nothing too exciting happened, but it went well. I did have a sweet moment of success with one of my Korean students, Jessika. She doesn't speak very good English, but I've been working with her since I've been here. At the beginning her writing book was filled half written sentences or unreadable words. Today, with only some help to get her started, she wrote five whole sentences! It was quite exciting :)

Mrs. Eka had release time to do some assessment, so a reliever teacher came and we played some fun games with the students after lunch. Here is one called electric snakes. The goal was to get from one end to the other without touching the "electric snakes" aka the jump ropes (which they call skipping ropes). It was pretty entertaining to watch them try to jump over the ropes!
This is Hilton, one of my other favorite Samoan students, and brother of Philipi. He is one of the youngest students, and usually one of the worst behaved. But, for some reason he was so good for me today. He just wanted to do everything to help me, and he did more work than I've ever seen him do. His cute little voice and Samoan accent along with his sweet smile get me every time :)

1 comment: