I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hearts

Another great Sunday here in kiwiland. Church was wonderful, as always. Our West Harbour ward got its very own set of missionaries (instead of sharing with another ward) and I know one of them from freshman year!! Elder Everett is from Hawaii and he was in my ward freshman year. We didn't ever really hang out, but I knew him. So crazy to see him here.

A relaxing afternoon turned competitive when Jess and Christine taught Anna and I how to play hearts. I have never played before, but I love card games and it was fun to learn a new one. The unfortunate part, is that I did not do so hot. I feel like I'm pretty good at card games, especially our family's favorite-Pounce. I really did try, but to say I did ok would be a big overstatement. You want to get the least amount of points possible (ideally zero), and when we finished the loser (me) had 89, and the winner (Jess) had around 20. Bummer. Well, you can't win 'em all, right?

Raewyn, Sheryl's mother, taught us how to make steamed pudding tonight. By "taught" I mean "showed" because I know I would never be able to replicate it since she didn't measure anything. I always feel much better following a recipe and measuring everything, but maybe this will help me be a little more adventurous because it was SO good. I was skeptical at first, but it ended up being more like a pancake rather than pudding. The key ingredient is golden syrup, and it was delicious. Another reason why I'm hoping a bottle of golden syrup will make it through customs :)

And here are some pictures to catch up on a few of my Colwill kids...
Philipi, one of my favorite Samoan students. He is actually in the class next door, but he is always around...
...and always wants to take pictures!
Tapaea, on the left, wanted me to take a picture of her great, big, beautiful smile because she just lost her two front teeth. We tried to get Jessica, on the right, to show a big, toothy grin too, but she just kept giggling and closing her mouth. They are just so cute. Oh, and don't you just love their required school hats? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment