I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How to make chocolate cake :)

It was a special day today. The whole class sang me Happy Birthday...and it's not even my birthday! Mrs. Eka's daughter, Liarah, turned 4 today and spent the day with us in Room 14. To celebrate, we spent the morning making chocolate cake. At first, I thought this might be a waste of time, but she used it as an opportunity to teach about following directions in the correct order. We wrote out all the directions for everyone to see, split into two groups, and mixed up two cake batters. My group decided we were going to have the BEST cake, so we added a secret ingredient: kisses. I had everyone blow a kiss into the batter to add a little bit of love...they were so cute about it! We baked the cake in the staff room, decorated it with lots of chocolate frosting, lots of sprinkles, and lots of squeezable colored icing. For a bunch of 6- and 7-year-olds, it turned out to be a fabulous cake :) Oh, about the singing...Mrs. Eka and Liarah had left the room to get matches, and I was asking the class if they were ready to sing to Liarah when she got back. Well, someone started singing Happy Birthday, and somewhere in the middle they decided to sing it to me with a big, "Happy birthday MISS BURNETT!!!!" And I even got a big cheer at the end. Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! It was lovely.
Here are my wonderful Room 14 students! All the year 2s are sitting, and all the year 3s are kneeling or standing.
Aren't they cute? :)
One of my favorite things is listening to the students at Colwill sing. This isn't the best quality video because they were just quickly practicing before the bell rang (and you can hear a few singers off key *cough cough* Mrs. Eka *cough cough*), but oh well. The first song is part of "Kiwi Kids" and the second is part of "Mati Mahi Ka Ora."

No comments:

Post a Comment