I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Monday, March 7, 2011

Pavlova #4

Today was a lovely day. The highlight was definitely skyping my family...not only my immediate family, but also my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was so fun to say hello to everyone and "see" everyone even though I'm halfway around the world. I also was able to skype our good family friend Margie Reese and her 6 month old, Jay, in Korea for a little bit. I loved being able to catch up with her, and I'm hoping I'll be able to see them during their next trip to the states!

It was a long day at school today, but I had some great moments that kept me smiling:

  • Colwill Primary School has 17 different first languages among the students. 17! So they have a pretty big ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) program, and I was able to sit in on one of the mini lessons today. They use a program called Talk to Learn and its focus is building up their basic language skills. Today they were talking about growth and the process of planting a seed. One of the little boys, however, kept interrupting with the most random thoughts. For example:
    • Nelson: Why do people go to heaven when they die?
    • Teacher (Deb): Well, would you want to go to hell?
    • Nelson: No. No. When people do bad things they go to hell.
    • Deb: Have you done any bad things?
    • Nelson: No, I’m going to heaven.
    • Deb: Good, there you go. Back to planting this seed…
  • Also during my ESOL observation, Deb (teacher) showed them a picture of an elderly gentleman wearing a suit. She asked them if they knew who it was, and one of the girls immediately piped up, “Is that my brother all growed up?” Apparently she thought that Deb somehow had a picture taken in the future! Haha. It was cute.

Last, but certainly not least, Anna and I successfully made another pavlova. I think we’re up to #4. We doubled the recipe and it turned out delicious, but the crust was a little too thick. We used nectarines to decorate it this time, but I think the kiwis, or rather kiwifruits, are still my favorite :)

Good thing Anna and I had just gotten back from a run to burn all those pavlova calories ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment