I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Magic Trees

My second to last day at Colwill Primary was filled with fun. Here are some highlights:
  • My class spent pretty much the entire day on one project. They read a book about a magic tree that grew whatever you wanted on it. So, the kids brainstormed ideas of what their magic trees would grow if they had one. Then, they wrote about it: 1) what grew on the tree, and 2) who could eat/play/use it. After revising it over and over with their peers and me, we typed it up for publishing. Next they created the magic trees with 3-D objects for whatever grew on the trees. It was so fun when they included me in their list of people who could eat/play/use it. Many of them were pretty detailed, but one of my favorites was: "I have a chocolate tree. It is for Miss Burnett." How did he know I love chocolate so much? ;)

More pictures of the magic trees tomorrow :)
  • Sonya and I both wore our hair in braids (or plaits as they call them here). She was SO excited that we were twinners and could not focus on anything until we finally took a picture of our matching hair.
  • Filoi wrote me a cute little goodbye card today because she isn't going to be at school tomorrow. It said: "Dear Miss Burnett. I am really sorry for been rood and been cheeky to you when you said to me to do what you said. I am sorry. I am going to Miss you forever and ever and ever. Say Hi to Everyone at America and my Friend cool Johnny. From filoi in room 14. Burnett love you Miss." Pretty impressive for a girl who didn't speak any English a year ago, eh?
  • When the other students saw Filoi give me a letter and picture, I was soon bombarded with the cutest drawings and notes from the rest of the class. One little boy, Lyric, had folded his paper and cut out hearts all over it. He gave it to and said, "Here Miss. These are my love hearts for you." Another girl, Laine, wrote, "I love you because you make me happy and you are cool because you are so cool." I'm excited because I know they're giving me "real" goodbye letters tomorrow. Life is so good :)
  • My good day continued on after school, too. We had told the Lords about s'mores and they wanted to try it out. Sheryl's brilliant idea, however, was to stick M&M's inside of the marshmallows to get melt the chocolate, but not get it everywhere. Kerry built us a little fire before dinner and by the time we were ready to roast our mallows the embers were perfect! They don't have graham crackers over here either, so we tried it with malt biscuits instead. They definitely weren't the s'mores we're used to, but they were still yum as and we had so much fun making them :)
Out in the Lord's backyard enjoying our NZ s'mores.
Our action shot! Too bad I had already finished my s'more at this point.
Alexis LOVED roasting the marshmallows. I think she roasted and ate more marshmallows than all of us combined!
With today being so good, I'm excited to see what tomorrow has in store. I know it'll be so sad to goodbye, but I know it will also be filled with lots of little moments of joy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment