I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

America, What's Your Favourite Colour?

The days are flying by. There was an all-school assembly at Colwill today. In these assemblies, the teachers hand out one or two awards of merit to students in their classes who they think deserve them. This week, our mentor teachers surprised us by giving each one of us awards for all we've done these past six weeks. The deputy principal (assistant principal) gave a little thank you speech, emphasizing how much they'll miss us because we have become such an integral part of Colwill. It was difficult to keep it together and not tear in front of all these kids I have come to love so much. Goodbyes on Thursday are going to be tough!

Here we are with our Colwill awards of merit :)
After the assembly, I really just tried to enjoy all my time with the students. Even though I've had my challenges with some of them, I can't imagine not seeing them every day. I want to be able to see them grow up. I want to see what they do with their lives, all their accomplishments. But I guess this is something teachers struggle with every year. You usually have your class only for one year, and then you say goodbye, wishing them the best as they continue growing up and living their lives. It's interesting to be on the teacher side of things rather than the student side!
Crazy boys! You can almost tell from this picture what I deal with on daily basis. Haha.
Filoi amazes me. She came to NZ from Samoa one year ago speaking NO English. She is already speaking English fluently, has the best handwriting in the class, and progresses leaps and bounds every day. She really is amazing.
Aren't they just so cute?!
I'm hoping to continue adding to this video as I get more and more clips. While I was taking pictures with them, I thought it might be fun to get a few clips to hear what they have to say. They didn't know what to say at first, so I started asking them, "What would you like to say to America?" You can tell that they had a hard time coming up with their own ideas because there is a common theme of asking America, "What's your favourite colour?" Regardless of the repetition, they are still adorable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment