I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Want

This picture isn’t on our walk to school I'm about to talk about, but it is a beautiful patio in our backyard covered with grapevines. It just might be one of my favorite spots :)

The other day, our literacy professor (who lives on the same road as us) said that there was a route we could walk to school that would only take about 30 minutes. We decided that today would be a good time to try it out. Well, it took much longer than 30 minutes (closer to an hour than 30 minutes actually), but it was such a nice walk that we’ll probably end up walking to and from school more than riding the bus now! There is a MASSIVE hill near the end, but there is a path through that seems to go through a jungle that is so beautiful and makes up for the strain felt on the hill. I think that our daily walks through Auckland will be a great time to enjoy the beauty surrounding us.

Class was great today. Even though I feel like our Literacy class is more of a review of the literacy class I took last semester, our assessment class is filled with insightful and thought provoking. So here is my question for you for the day: What do you want? Are the things you want, worth wanting? JJ started off class today with a quote from Socrates:

“It is easier to get what you want than to learn what is worth wanting.”

I get that even though it might be easier to get what I want in the here and now, it will be more beneficial if I wait, and take the time to discover things much more valuable than my initial wants. I don’t think the majority of society takes that necessary time to discover what is actually worth their wanting. Instead, they are only concerned with the here and now, more willing to buy and do things on a whim. The sad thing is, is that oftentimes in these situations, they don’t end up happy or satisfied. I think that everyone would be a whole lot happier if they learned what is worth wanting. It may be more difficult and more time consuming this way, but it in the end it will also be much more beneficial.

One last thought (and I apologize that this post is random and disconnected, but it’s just the things I’m thinking about). Like most other people, I LOVE accents. Recently, I’ve discovered that I especially love listening to children with New Zealand accents—probably not as much I love listening to attractive foreign men, but pretty close. ;) Yesterday, Alexis had a few friends over, and I heard some absolutely hilarious conversations. Here’s just one of them. And remember to do your best to say it in your best New Zealand accent:

Alex (probably around 4 or 5): Alexis and Luke aren’t doing what I want to do!

Kerry: Tha’s alright, mate. Now go on and bounce on the tramp.

Alex walks out to the backyard and yells at Alexis and Luke.

Alex: If you two don’t do what I want to do, then I’m going HOME!

Luke and Alexis stop bouncing for a second, look at Alex, then continue bouncing.

Alex: Fine! Then I’m going home.

Alex runs away literally as fast as he can. Five minutes later Alex is back.

Alex: Where is Luke? Mum said he has to go home NOW.

Kerry: What for, mate?

Alex: Because I told Mum she had to tell him to go home.

Kerry: He’s still bouncing on the tramp, mate.

Alex runs outside then straight back in.

Alex: NOT SO!

And that was the last we saw of Alex.

Ok, so it probably wasn’t very funny to you, but I hope you got some good practice on your accents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment