I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Picture Catch Up

Rain, rain, rain. I don't think I have ever seen so much rain! We were going to walk to church today, but it was pouring so bad that we would have been soaked within a minute of being out there! Luckily, Sheryl kindly offered to drive us. I really do feel so blessed to be living with the Lord Family. They have been so kind, generous, and fun to be with! And, we are so lucky Kerry is such a great cook and makes delicious dishes every night. Before we came, JJ only promised us 2 things: a bed, and a school. He couldn't promise that the houses would be nice or that we would like the food we were provided with, but we have been so blessed to have all that we do :) The only big thing to report today is that Anna and I made homemade ANZAC biscuits. Sheryl buys mini ANZAC biscuits and we LOVE them, so we decided to try it out ourselves-they were delicious! We were going to make another pavlova, but I wanted to try some other New Zealand-y recipes; I'm going to have a whole bunch to bring back to the states!

Since there wasn't too much going on today, I thought I'd just post some pictures from the past few weeks that I didn't get the chance to post:
This was from our first day at the beach! From the left: Christine, Janet, Me, Jess, Anna, and Rebecca.
Such a be-a-utiful day :)
After watching the Maori channel one night, Sheryl brought home some poi (the Maori balls at the end of strings that they dance with) for us to try out. After my first attempt, Sheryl told me I looked like a crazy person and needed to focus on only using my wrists to move the poi haha. I don't know if I got any better, but it was fun to try!
Some of the girls have noticed that there is a lot of bacon-flavored things...some host families have given them things like bacon flavored cheese. When we went to this cafe with the Lords, Anna and I laughed when we saw they even put bacon in their crepes with bananas and syrup!
It is a very common thing for Alexis to walk into our room and say, "Do you know what?" One day she wanted us to know that she had made this bubble wrap dress all by herself. Very stylin' Alexis :)
Kodie is hilarious. Except for our very first day here, he always calls me "Anna." When asked where Heidi is, he always knows it's me, but he insists on calling me Anna. Anyway, when I had all my Mozzy bites, he was so helpful and wanted to rub that conditioner all over my legs. So cute!
Last week we attempted another pavlova, but for some reason I didn't put up the pictures. Here it is! I loved our kiwifruit design, but I think I liked the taste of our thinner pavlova pizza better.
We were trying to get a picture of the giant hole in the middle of the pavlova, and ended up catching the kids sneak a taste :) Love it!

1 comment:

  1. I love Poi Balls! :) I am pretty much an expert... ;) I took a Polynesian dance class and New Zealand was my favorite section! I love reading your blog...except when I am so jealous that I can not even look at it. Like today for instance when there is 3 inches of snow on the ground outside. SICK! Love you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete