I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Friday, January 28, 2011

Classes? Check!

I am done. No more BYU classes. Ever. I officially finished classes for the semester today, and it is only January 28…how great is that?! I feel so old. And my brother, Daniel, even told me I was old today when I chatted with him. Not old in the sense that I’m falling apart; just old in the sense that I am pretty much done with my schooling. I’m excited for this next phase in my life, whatever that may be :)

Of course we had to take a last-day-of-school pic :)

We did some neat experiments/explorations in science today. Most exciting experiment? Why, the exploding volcanoes of course! We put these red fizzing tablets (we assume they’re similar to airbourne or alka-seltzer) on the lid of a film canister filled with water. Then we turned them upside down to start the reaction inside a cup filled with oats. With all the pressure building up in the film canister, it soon exploded and the oats went everywhere. It was cool because instead of just watching vinegar and baking soda “erupt,” we got to experience several exciting and crazy explosions. Good thing we found a vacuum to clean up!

Most eye-opening exploration? The fruit and vegetable close-up of course! It’s funny because we eat fruits and vegetables every day—or at least we should—but rarely do we ever take the time to look at any of them. Well today we just sat there with our magnifying glasses and knives to take a close-up look of some common fruits and veggies. I don’t know if you’ll be able to see all the detail we were able to, and it probably is ridiculous to put all these pictures up, but it really was cool :)
The close up of our mini to-MAH-to. (don't want Alexis correcting my pronunciation again!)
When do you ever look inside a blueberry? Rarely. They're not even blue!
Slice of our carrot close-up
Star core of our apple. It was a native NZ apple and it was probably the sweetest tasting apple I've ever had. Delicious.
This was my favorite one: the zucchini. I don't know if you can see but it has this intricate swirling pattern with the seeds...so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment