I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand Winter 2011. It is a program through the education program at BYU. I am THRILLED for all the adventures to come :)

Monday, February 14, 2011

Do you have bread in your world?


Happy Valentine's Day! I have officially fallen in love today...with my 25 students at Colwill Primary School. They are all absolutely adorable. Today was my first full day in the schools, and I loved it! It was just a day full of observation and getting the hang of everything, but it was still so great. There are 25 kids with names like Iosefa, Kokiri, Tepaea, Mihiarangi, and Filoisaina. Uh, yeah. It is definitely going to take some practice! They are all aged somewhere between almost 6 to almost 8. They are all full of spunk and I just love listening to them talk. Here are some of the funny things they said today:
  • One girl repeatedly stated, "I want you to be my mum!"
  • One boy, in all seriousness, asked, "Do you have bread in your world??"
  • One boy made fun of me for saying, "glasses" (he repeated this very twangy and nasally) instead of saying, "glAHsses."
  • One boys asked, "Can she teach us a song in her language?"
We talked about how I'm from America, but apparently they still think I speak a different language and live in some foreign land--or foreign world! I loved having a conversation about accents with one of the older students (I think she was year 7 or 8, which is 6th or 7th grade). She was convinced I had an accent, but I told her I was convinced she had an accent. We talked about what a funny thing that is, having such different perspectives. She then entertained me by trying her best American accent. It was hilarious.

I can already see some big differences, and it is going to be very interesting working with my mentor Mrs. Eka (she has a very loud, intimidating personality), but I am SO excited to see what the next six weeks holds in store :)

OH. And I want to give a big shout out to my brother, Daniel, who just received his mission call to Berlin, Germany!! Woot woot! I am SO thrilled and SO proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment